Has anyone even read all of this new 63 page rule for treatment of opiate addiction with buprenorphine or methadone? I believe gratuitously adding to the already daunting barriers inherent in the federal regulation of these effective approaches will exacerbate the problem.
I predict this rule will result in
- increase in the black market for methadone and buprenorphine
- more patients crossing state lines to obtain the drugs
- potential treatment providers declining to prescribe the drugs
- increase in providers facing discipline or criminal charges
- increase in deaths from overdose
- decrease in respect for government
- increase in cost of treatment
- inability of many addicts to find treatment
Tennessee, say the Serenity Prayer.
Prohibition kills. Make buprenorphine available over-the-counter everywhere.